Thursday, February 11, 2010

The Blizzard of 2010

Today is the seventh day our family and many other families in the region have been snowed in due to back to back winter storms that swept in with a fury. The first snow dumped 32 inches of snow on top of the six we already had from the previous weekend. As families, businesses, and the federal government began to dig themselves out from under the tundra, another storm brought with it another 10-15 inches within five days of the first snowfall.

The beauty of the snow has caused me to be still and know that He is God. As much as I am not a fan of cold weather and the snow that sometimes comes with it, I am thankful for the opportunity to stop and rest from the flurry of weekly activities that takes us out of the home. We have been able to accomplish a lot of school this week. While public and private schools have been closed for seven days now, we do not have snow days. Such is the life of most homeschool families. We tend to take advantage of getting in as much school as possible so that we can be finished in May and enjoy an extended summer. We generally do not take off the minor holidays such as Labor Day, Columbus Day, President's Day, etc., unless we plan on being away or take the day for a field trip.

The children, of course, enjoy the snow and love venturing out, especially since dad is off from work and can join in the play. I confess, I tend to complain and worry about what the snow brings with it: possible power outages, snow up to the windows, shoveling, shoveling, and more shoveling, "how will we ever get out of the driveway with three feet of snow?". I am learning that I cannot be in control of everything and God uses these times to show me that He is always in control. I read a verse on my friend's facebook page that helped bring that truth to light. "When it snows, she has no fear for her household; for all of them are clothed in scarlet." Proverbs 31:21. Thank you, Martha, for posting that for it has caused me to stop and enjoy the rest that God has given me. I really have not been one bit stressed once I realized that God was doing me a favor and has allowed me to enjoy the fact that we do not have to be anywhere, but right here together.

This time is a sweet reminder of how it was when I first began homeschooling and the oldest children were small. We had no outside commitments except for church or church-related activities. Now our social life is consumed with the kids' extracurricular jaunts. For me, this snowstorm brought something sweet with it - a sweet reminder that God is omnipotent, omniscient, and omnipresent in all things. He knows what we need and will use anything He wants to help His children to stop and reflect on His beauty. God painted a beautiful picture this week. There will never be another snowstorm like this one. It is unique. It is God's handiwork. I am reminded of something else that is hard for the human mind to comprehend. Isaiah 1:18 says, "Though your sins are like scarlet, they shall be as white as snow..." After the blizzard subsided, my husband, the kids, and I trekked outside with snow to the top of my legs. All we could do was look at the amazing whiteness of the snow surrounding us. It wasn't just any ordinary white. It was bright white; it was beautiful. God says He will make our scarlet sins, whiter than snow. That amazing thought came to me how God loves us so much that He will do that for us.

So this blizzard of 2010 has brought some new revelations to me. Oh yes, I have read these scriptures many times before, but the Holy Spirit has illumined them to me through God's glorious snowstorm. Be still and know that He is God.

No comments:

Post a Comment